Monday, April 21, 2008

Of internships, Prathiba Patil, glamour and chicken.

My first day interning. I must say, it's terribly exciting to be able to walk in and out of the Times of India office anytime I like, without having to wait in the reception for twenty minutes each time. That's the best part.

I was made to ask people I know which celebrity they want to talk to and what they would say to them. My friends have such amazingly diverse minds, though a surprising number of them seem to want to talk to dead people. Prathiba Patil, Dipti says, should really stop wearing full sleeved sweater blouses. I agree, so does everyone else here at the office. Who even makes those things for her?

Apparently, Madame President forgot to salute the Mexican flag when she visited there. What an entertainingly vague lady she must be. I wish I could spend some time with her! Dipti also ferverntly wishes that Rahul Gandhi must try his best not to look like Manmohan Singh when he gets to that age. That would be a great favour to our eyes (and my imagination!) but perhaps he relies on his good looks a little too much now. His glasses and dimples have guaranteed him the female vote and lots and lots of giggles.

Everybody is sitting here and doing exactly the same thing as me. What a fun lot of they are. They meet in the mornings to discuss SRK and the IPL, after which the boss announces she's baked a cake. And a delicious cake it was, too. I wish I could work here forever, I'd be perfectly happy to never have to go back to college again. Although I am rather partial to the canteen.

The team has been far too kind to me, considering I'm a fresh faced, rather ignorant little piece of insignificance. It's great! I hope it holds out! A life of glamour is unfolding itself, a whole new adventure for me. I can't wait.

Just as I was leaving, mum called. On the office landline, no less. When the phone rang, I thought about how my mother calls there an awful lot and well, let's just say that my mum is also rather predictable! She called to tell me to buy some chicken on the way home. There's mum for you! She's the best, life would be drastically less comic without her!

That was the end of a very eventful first day at work. For the second time in my life, I can't wait to go to work. The only other time I looked forward to anything that didn't concern doing as little as possible was in my Journalism days. Those were the best classes. I'm drifting again, so I'll stop. Here's hoping the rest of the month is as good as today! It's one hell of an experience, alright!

3 comments:

Aditi said...

damn you Dippy! It was Mexico. Mexico I say, not Cuba. :P

Pratibha Patil will melt one day and if that doesnt happen soon enough, her pallu will strangle her.


You must blog more often.

Random question, but have you read the Fountainhead?

(look at me , I've turned into a serial commenting person.oddness)

Darshana said...

I have not read the Fountainhead and I don't think I will, either, not in the near future, atleast. I don't like Ayn Rand and her 'right' wing philosphies.

Darshana said...

And Pratibha Patil is more likely to suffocate in her fashionable sweater blouses. Or in this heat, she will probably melt. Like the wicked witch of the west, you know the one. :P