Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The La Di 'Do'

Part of my job description, apparently, is to go for parties. Entertainment Inc! I went for my first one tonight. It was a 'bit of a do' for a good cause. I stepped into the Leela only to be greeted by that distressingly familiar baritone boom. An evening with Usha Uthup. Four songs with Usha Uthup. She is a good singer, but I'm a tad bored with "I just called to say I love you" and "Hava Nageela." Everybody who is Anybody was there, with smiles all ready for the cameras. The photographer from the Times of India was the most sought after man at the party. People were falling all over themselves to get to Benedict, who went around with a commendably benevolent smile on his face all the while.
I stuck out like a sore thumb, I'm sure. I was strutting about in my work clothes with a glass of orange juice in my hand (part of my teetotalling ways!) amongst all the cocktail clad men and women, who had obviously spent no short amount of time in the beauty parlour. They were buffed and scented to the tip of every straightened hair on their heads.
The hostess' husband was completely convinced that he and I were old chums. When Benedict made to introduce us, he cut him off, saying, "I know this young lady very well, I see her at all the dos." Being the impolite brat that I am, I was far too amused to keep a straight face, although I have been overcome with mirth in so many akward situations that I know now how to turn a cheeky grin into a smile of great wonder and fascination.
The socialites stood about, smiling broadly, looking around fervently for Benedict and his camera. They even talked to one another occasionally. Benedict, I noticed, leaned in to say something to a man there, who mistook it for a la- di- da-kiss-kiss and he moved in with rather questionable enthusiasm!
The kids for whom the charity was being organized came on stage too. That was easily the most genuine part of the evening. I couldn't help but wonder how some people can have so much, underserving though they might be, while some have nothing at all. There were empty glasses strewn on the floor, laughter that was far too loud and donations that were made with a little too much reluctance. The kids who came on stage, though, did it with all sincerity. Those donations really were changing their lives. The loose change that somebody put in a bowl to impress everybody else at a socialite gathering is about to change a child's life. Perhaps they'll make more of themselves with our loose change than we ever will with all our fortunes. And goodness knows they deserve to.

No comments: