Saturday, October 11, 2008

This is my very very first attempt at poetry. All my life, it was something I didn't dare to explore, just decided I couldn't do it. Now, in the midst of examination season, creativity flows beautifully, just to distract! So I thought, it wouldn't hurt to try... Let's just call it blank verse, though, shall we?

At first when I was unhappy,

I thought, hoped, even believed,

That happiness might come along.

But that’s just where I was wrong.

Happiness never came with where I was or who I became,

Whom I was with or without.

Happiness, I learnt, beyond all doubt,

Comes only from me.

I let somebody break my heart

I let my life tear me apart.

Indulging my sorrow.

The easiest thing to live with, you see,

Is the emotion we call self pity.

Life passed me by and I let it

Peering through a haze of tears

Mere existence, shrouded in fear.

Expecting the worst,

Imagining how it would destroy me.

Then, what I dreaded came to be.

I tried to drown myself in despair

Could have been hurt beyond repair.

Pain, the greatest teacher of all,

She gave me the truth and ripped illusion apart.

I tried to suffer, I tried to weep

But I could not, for finally,

The truth had set me free.

And I learnt, the only thing standing in the way of freedom and happiness,

Was me.

No comments: